Saturday, March 20, 2010

Gear, Gear and more Gear

Yesterday the internals for the mic blimps arrived and today I got a quick peek at the story boards for Dirt Nap. But I think I should go back to the beginning and tell the story.

There I was working an IT contract, we went to eat BBQ as a team and this new guy Arlo mentions he writes screenplays, is into movies and has even created a teaser film for the internet. I tell him that I write screen plays too and perhaps we could talk later. A few days later me and Arlo go to lunch and bounce around some ideas we have come up with on our own. I mention I have short film idea 'Dirt Nap' and if I had some help I could produce it. Before you know it, we are researching camera types roughing out a budget and picking out accessories. I price everything out and email my want list off to every major equipment reseller I can find. (This was harder than I thought as I have learned that camera equipment is so flippin expensive that nobody wants to cut you a deal) Then I found my sales guy Joel at FullCompass.


Now comes the long wait as the gear arrives one box at a time. We ran into a few snags but the biggest drawback was the Panasonic AG-HPX300PJ cameras. These cameras use interlacing and thus when you actually move the camera too fast or a car drives through the frame too fast a strange effect called Rolling Shutter (limitation of 3mos) which actually skews the playback. But on the plus side we are trying to exchange the cameras for two of the Panasonic HPX500-EFP which uses a CCD technology. All the rest of the gear is here and in hand and is 100% compatible with the HPX500 so we shall see what happens.

Later
Jallen

No comments: